Friday, September 4, 2009

I don't wanna work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!

Hi lovelies!!!

I miss you all oodles and oodles. I want to apologize to all of you for not keeping in touch better. I think once I explain my schedule, you'll understand. However, I am making a Labor Day Resolution to just start calling all of you on my 15 minute commute to/from work, which is about all the free time I have. Seriously.

So, let's see, right now I am in planning period (which is my 4th block). Normally, I spend this time creating my lesson/powerpoint for the next day, but since it's Friday, I have plenty of time to procrastinate. :) Not everything about me has changed, haha. But...a lot has changed for instance:

1.) I wake up at 5:30AM every morning and go to sleep at 11PM at night. This is without exceptions.
2.) I take no naps.
3.) I make meals (taco salad, huevos rancheros, pasta salad anyone?)
4.) I am dirt poor. (oh wait, I guess that hasn't changed)
5.) I do not drink (except one day on the weekends when I get a little out of control after two drinks. My lack of tolerance and overtiredness combined make a horrible/powerful combination).
6.) I do not watch TV (with the exception of Top Chef and Project Runway), which as all of you know, is a severe downgrade. I do grade papers during this time, so my attention (regrettably) is divided.
7.) I have no drama in my life (except for student drama which is not nearly as much fun).
8.) I cry hard at least once every three days.

Wow, so that's a little intense, but it really isn't all bad. This is absolutely the most challening thing I have ever done in my life, but it's also the most wonderful. I feel a purpose to my actions and life. My students are a riot, somewhat out of control at times, but I've become the hard-ass new teacher, so I don't really let a lot slide. I've thrown about 6 kids out of my room so far. I don't play around.

Lately, I've been feeling really frustrated. My students quizzes consistenly come back in the 60s-70s range, and they're OK with it as long as they pass. This is infuriating!! I've also been doing checks for understanding throughout my lesson. I'll ask a question, say, about macromoluecles, and wait for a response. Yesterday I asked what are the 4 macromolecules that make up all living things (we've been teaching this for 4 days now). First student response:- "no idea, I wasn't listening." Me: "You haven't been listening for the last 4 days??" "No." "OK- well, I'll tell you the answer." I told the student the answer, asked him to tell me the 4 macromolecules, again. "I don't know." I asked the SAME EXACT QUESTION to four students in a row, each time telling the correct answer and asking them to give me the answer back. Everytime "I don't know." I could have cried. I know I'm a terrible teacher, and I really need to find ways to make my students learn. I think I've been too focused on creating fun activities to do that relate to what we're learning, but aren't actually helping academically.

As you can tell from my rant, I'm very invested in this teaching thing. I think about it ALL THE TIME. I think I need to get more sleep or something, haha. This long-weekend I have so much work to catch up on, grading, organizing, lesson planning, it just never ends.

On a happy note, I almost got in a fight with a guy at a bar last weekend. He spilled a drink all over my roomate, and I was like *teacher mode "Excuse me, you need to apologize." He came back and said, "you are the biggest bitch I have every met." Naturally, I lunged after him swinging. If it weren't for Stacey, I would have punched him directly in the face. She stopped me.

I've become incredibly aggressive and combative, probably a bitch to be around. I still try to find the humor in my classes, and it's getting easier. I have some funny stories I will share later. For now, I have to go to a meeting at 1, so I will stop with my tyrade now.

I love you all and miss you so much!!!

Ms. McKenna :)

No comments:

Post a Comment